Tuesday, January 08, 2008

407 at 3:29

So despite promising myself earlier today (and yesterday, and last week) that I need to get on a better schedule, I'm up posting this at 3:29 am. Last night I actually had a dream which involved getting to work late, people stealing my desk (which actually does happen a lot, but this was more severe), and then realizing I was in some pretty awkward pajamas and not work clothes. And then I woke up, waaay after my alarm had started going off.

I actually did turn off my computer earlier (before 1) tonight in an effort to get to bed at a semi-reasonable hour, but I turned it back on because I was really frustrated with blood sugar issues, so I wanted to settle down (and break me off a little piece of that diabetes OC to help) before I try to go to sleep. Basically: after working out tonight, I'm 97. I don't eat anything, I go grocery shopping (which usually drops me), and 3 hours later, I'm 397. Wash hands, repeat: 382. Yup. My site doesn't hurt, no visible blood or loose tape, and isn't due to be changed until tomorrow afternoon (I try to change it every 2 1/2 days or less). When I took it out, there was blood in the cannula - but I had no way of knowing the site was bad until my blood sugars went nuts (and for a second, I felt guilty for not having tested for 3 hours, and then I realized that is ridiculous). I gave myself a shot, fairly aggressive but not super aggressive because it's near bedtime, and 2 hours later I haven't budged - I'm 407. Don't want to give myself a lot more insulin since it's still bedtime and sometimes my body reacts really late to insulin and I bottom out, but probably I need more before I go to sleep.

I know sites fail occasionally, but I just am frustrated and worried cuz it's happening all the time, again (this happened to me last winter/spring, I took a pumping break and tried some new sites). It seems like my pump isn't dependable anymore again. Or I don't even know. I have been in the 300s routinely in the last few weeks, despite not being sick, testing 12+ times a day, and not drinking much at holiday festivities. I started paying less attention because I was exhausted/burned out from paying so much attention and having things still not work out. Sometimes I am eating crappy or underbolusing or needing an adjustment in my insulin rates because I've been exercising less, but I don't even know how to sort out what's what, changes I need to make or bad sites any more. Between not trusting my pump and being burned out, I sometimes can't figure it out or just don't have the energy to. You know it's bad when you're going through ketone strips like crazy just to try to figure out if your pump is working... (hey, at least walgreens started making the generic ones now!)

6 comments:

Bernard said...

Now that is just so annoying. Especially when you take extra insulin and it doesn't seem to work at all.

When I get anything I consider super high (250 or more) I now tend to use a super bolus (Google for it). It's a combination of a bolus for correction plus moving some of your basal insulin forward in time. For me it generally considerably shortens the correction time without producing a lot of lows.

Bad Decision Maker said...

bernard - i do use the super bolus sometimes, i actually started doing it before i ever read about it anywhere and found out it had a name! however, i don't like to do it before bed because i can't fall asleep if i'm dropping fast.

thanks for listening/advising!

Scott K. Johnson said...

Hey BDM,

That is very frustrating. And like you say it DOES take a LOT of energy to figure it out.

It's not as simple as "try this, try that", and the whole time you're BG is sky high.

Major suckage.

I hope that it all shakes out for you soon without too much work or trouble.

Jonah said...

Would a blood ketone monitor pick up on the lack of basal before your blood sugar would reflect it?

Nicole P said...

What sort of sites do you use? I swear by the Comfort sets - used with IV Prep. I've had very few failures since I switched to them several years ago.

You have to be willing to do a manual insert. But it's well worth it...

Just a suggestion. From someone who had all-too-routine (at least a couple of times a month) site failures before switching to these sets...

- Nicole

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.